Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Make a Difference!

Ever since January 12th ... since the earthquake in Haiti ... I've been going through a lot of emotions. I have felt anger, frustration, helplessness, grief, relief, amazement, and thankfulness.

I have been told that I shouldn't feel like I have to fix it. I don't think I really feel like I can or that I need to fix it. I don't feel like this is what I'm being called to do. I DO feel that God is working in and through me to make a difference. This is all that we are required to do... make a difference. If you look at the situation as something that we have to fix, we will soon get overwhelmed and will eventually burn out or just give up. God does not give us more than we can handle... this includes emotionally as well as physically.

I wanted to share with you one of my favorite stories. Some of you may have already read it but I think it's worth repeating...

The Starfish Story
Original Story by: Loren Eisley

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
You can’t make a
difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the
man, he said…”
I made a difference for that one.”


I challenge you today not to look at the whole picture and think you can fix everything that needs fixing in this world... it will not happen. Rather, I challenge you to simply MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIFE OF SOMEONE NEXT TO YOU! God puts someone in your path every day that He wants you to influence, talk to, smile at, or pray for... don't miss your opportunity.

Haiti is always on my heart probably because part of my heart will always remain in Haiti. I do not feel I'm home until I step foot off the plane. I love this country. I love these people. I love that God gave me a passion for them and a deep love for them. I thank God for putting them in my life and for giving me so many friends there. I am humbled that God has allowed me to make a difference in this country.

Do not forget about Haiti. Give your money. Give your food. Give sacrificially. Give your heart to prayer for them.

Be the difference God intended you to be.


4 comments:

A Stone Gatherer said...

Wonderful post my dear! Very well said!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Wonderful post my dear! Very well said!

Mari said...

I love that story. It's always good to be reminded that we can make a difference wherever we are!

Tiffany said...

thank you for this reminder Diane. it's so so true :)