
We had a little setback this week with Logan. He was supposed to get his hearing aids yesterday but we had to cancel the appointment. We are trying to get some help with payment from Michigan Rehabilitation Services. The lady I've been working with has been very helpful so far and I trust that she will do everything she can to get some of it paid for us. Logan will have to go to an orientation next week and paperwork will have to be filled out. We have until November 20th to get the hearing aids or we'll have to start all over again. Logan was a little disappointed but understood completely that if we can get a couple thousand dollars paid toward his hearing aids, it's well worth it!
I've been asked about insurance and why doesn't that help with these ridiculously expensive items. Well, they pay lifetime of $500.00. This is one payment only once in your lifetime toward the cost of your hearing aids. Hearing aids can run anywhere from $1,800 - over $5,000 each! I'm not trying to sound ungrateful for the $500.00 that they're willing to pay, but really? Mike asked that same question to the HR department at his work and they said that most insurance companies consider hearing aids to be COSMETIC! Seriously!? Who would go to a hearing center and say "I think my ears are a little plain. I would like hearing aids to make them 'pop' a little more." That's just stupid!
So, now we're waiting for the paperwork to come in the mail so we can fill that out and hopefully get 1/2 of it paid for us! Just a tip for anyone wanting to try and get help like this in the future... make sure you tell the hearing center you are working with Mich. Rehab. BEFORE you make any downpayments. Apparently they don't ask this question and you're not supposed to pay any money before all the paperwork is filled out. I'm hoping that I didn't screw it up by doing that!
Live and Learn.
Diane


1 comment:
I'll be praying that things work out. It seems absolutely ridiculous that insurance doesn't pay toward hearing aides.
Post a Comment