This weekend my husband and I went to see the movie "Secretariat". I do not remember seeing the race when it was actually run but Mike does. I do remember, however, hearing a lot about the great horse Secretariat! His record at the Belmont still stands!!
I thought it was very impressive how they opened the movie with scripture. This is what I found from a devotional online.
Psalm 147:10-11 – There is little in the animal world that exhibits more power than a horse; after all, how do we measure the capability of a car engine…horsepower! Years ago while we were in the South, we visited a few thoroughbred farms and were amazed at the monumental effort that goes into creating a winning race horse. My biggest thrill was being able to actually touch the great Triple Crown winner, Seattle Slew, but the statistic that wowed us the most was attributed to the great horse Secretariat. In his performance at the Belmont Stakes, he ran the one and a half mile race in 2:24 minutes and won by 31 lengths, a record that is still unbroken…now that’s power! But Psalm 147:10 says that even the Lord will return on a horse, He isn’t necessarily impressed with them.
The ability of man to move at breakneck speed has been a source of interest since the inception of the Olympics centuries ago. The record speed for a human according to Guinness World Book of Records was set by a man named Donovan Bailey in 1998; he was clocked at 27.1 mph…that’s pretty speedy! It’s impressive to us, but not to God.
So, according to the Psalmist, what does please the Lord?
What a great perspective... even the greatest feats an animal or human can achieve is still so, so small next to what God can do! If you would like to read more on this study, you can find it here.
The movie was amazing and I highly recommend it! I love to see movies that are based on true stories anyway and this one was definitely one of the better ones I've seen!
Be blessed today!
Diane
Sunday, October 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I have heard only good things about this movie. Thanks for the review. We'll have to see it too!
Very good devotion! That's the scripture that Dave quoted to Tyler too! It's the one that really got me studying scripture.
Post a Comment