Friday, December 5, 2008

"Toy Packaging"

I heard this song yesterday by Sara Groves called "Toy Packaging". I thought it was so funny... and so true! :)


Go to this site to download the song. The lyrics are also at this site but I've pasted them in this post too. Enjoy!
http://blog.beliefnet.com/gospelsoundcheck/2008/11/free-christian-music-download-1.html#more

Toy Packaging

Sara Groves and Ben Shive© 2008 Sara Groves Music (ASCAP) admin by Music Services

Nothing makes me lose my cool like

Toy packaging

Ask the kids to leave the room for

Toy packaging

I have no choice the money's spent

I've worked for hours to make a dent

I guess it's anger management

Toy packaging

Nothing makes me lose my cool like

Toy packaging

Ask the kids please leave the room it's time for

Toy packaging

I'm drawing up a battle plan to extricate this robot man

My self-esteem is in the can

Toy packaging

In the old days you could hold a box and shake it

And hear the pieces rattling around

My eyes tear up with these grommets, tape and twisty ties

Remembering their beautiful sound

Nothing makes me lose my cool like toy packaging

Kids you need to leave the room, mom's opening toy packaging

I'm sorry you have to see this sight

You must be brave, no please don't cryI promise it will be alright

I hope to have it by tonight

Nevermind this dynamite

Toy packaging

3 comments:

scotirish said...

I have read of many churches celebrating Christmas with Pageants that include an actual baby portraying the role of 'baby Jesus'. Our first child Ruth, was born December 12th, 1981 and was chosen to be 'baby Jesus' for our church's (Reba Place Fellowship) Christmas Eve service. Last year, our grandson, Charlie, born on Oct. 19th 2008, was chosen, also at Reba Place Fellowship. But in prison no such ritual exists. I wasn't even thinking about babies being in Christmas plays back in 1972. This was yet another year in prison the difference being this was my first Christmas as a christian. The Christmas service held new meaning for me as we sang the traditional Christmas Carols bringing with it a hope for a new life with a redeemed future. Christian volunteers were a part of our service at the U. S. Medical Center for Prisoners in Springfield, Mo. As our service wound to completion a cry was heard. The faint whimpering of a baby. My first thought was that I wasn't hearing what I thought I had heard. I had been in prison for many years and had never even seen a baby inside of a prison (not counting my infrequent times in the visiting room.) But there it was again, a baby crying. Someone, a volunteer, had brought their baby into the service wrapped in a blanket unnoticed by the guards. I then thought, there was our 'baby Jesus'. The parents of the yet unknown child were the children of an older couple (Lloyd and Nita Colbaugh) who had only a few years previously began their ministry to the prison. Even the great-grandmother (Mom Carter) was a volunteer and had played a significant role in my own conversion, telling me that God had a plan for my life. Life would go on and the incident of 'baby Jesus' coming to prison would fade to a memory, until the baby grew up and now is known throughout many countries far and wide as acclaimed singer/songwriter Sara Groves. I hope this story adds to your appreciation of the life of Sara and her family.John C Thomson

Mari said...

That's an interesting comment about Sara Groves! The song is funny, but like you said - it's true!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Cool story up above! Love Sara Groves and this song is too cute! I HATE TOY PACKAGING!!!!!!