Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Alaska Cruise Days 3 & 4...

Continuing on our "virtual cruise" aboard the Diamond Princess we come to Monday, August 11. Today we will be staying aboard the ship as we travel through Glacier Bay.

The day starts out with a beautiful sunrise over the water!

This is one of the bigger glaciers flowing down from the mountain
Here is a huge chunk of ice floating by the ship - keep in mind this is taken roughly 50 - 70 feet above the water from one of the decks of the ship
We are really a long way away from this glacier - it's easy to lose your perspective on how big these really are!
This is still a glacier but it's black from all the dirt it pulls with it - these glaciers actually produce vegetation from all the rich soil mixed with the ice.
Enjoy the scenery... waterfalls are seen a lot - run off from the glaciers I'm not sure if this is what is a piece of ice breaking off this glacier or not - if it is a piece breaking off, this is called "calving" (correction: Mike told me this is a river that flows through this glacier)
We saw humpback whales in this area but I don't think I have any still shots of them. :(

Day 4 of our cruise ... Tuesday, August 12 brings us to the town of Skagway We took an excursion on the White Pass Railway up into the mountains This pass was chiseled by hand to allow supplies to get to town



This is one of the engines of the trains
Skagway is a quaint little town up against the mountains

This about wraps up days 3 & 4 of your virtual cruise...

tune in tomorrow for days 5 & 6 where we'll be in the towns of Juneau and Ketchikan!

Be a blessing today!



6 comments:

Mari said...

Alaska is so beautiful! I can't imagine how long it took to chisel that pass by hand.

Cheri said...

What a beautiful sunrise. I bet the train ride was so fun!

Cheri said...

What a beautiful sunrise. I bet the train ride was so fun!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Beautiful! I remember Skagway from some books I read!

Melissa said...

I love that sunrise! I don't think I would ever get tired of seeing that beautiful scenery! :)

Anonymous said...

Diane,

The one picture you thought might be ice breaking off the glacier is actually a river that flows through the glacier.

Mike