Friday, June 27, 2008

God's Servant

Today would have been my Dad's 83rd birthday. Now don't think I am one of those people who continue to celebrate the birthday's of those who've gone on before us but there's a reason I bring this up...

My Dad died the day after his 79th birthday so tomorrow will be a time to remember him. This is a poem I wrote for him during his last 16 weeks of his life on earth. These weeks were spent in 2 hospitals and a nursing home. His prognosis was not very promising that he would be able to return home again but his spirit never waivered. His faith in God only shined more every day and it was very evident where he would be going before long. With tears in my eyes, I remember that 4 years ago today was the last day he lived on this earth and I miss him so much!

God’s Servant

You are God’s humble servant
In all you say and do.
Your heart is set on His ways
Each day is start anew.

You are my teacher for life’s lessons:
Courage, patience, respect, trust.
God guides your ways so beautifully.
You taught me His ways are just.

You are my friend and confidant
In all that life holds dear.
Cherished are our times together.
God’s Plan for us is clear.

You are a child of God
To serve on this earth awhile.
You do God’s work as planned.
He gets you through each trial.

You are a man of God.
It’s plain for us to see.
He’s used you wisely now.
He’ll reward you handsomely.

You are my earthly father.
I love you more each day.
Thank you for all you teach me
Each step along the way.

You are God’s humble servant.
Through life’s trials, you’ve asked not why.
When your work on earth is done
He’ll lead you to your home on high.

- written in honor of Rufus Mast
by Diane Westrick


"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant!...
Come and share your master's happiness!'"
~Matthew 25:21

Be a blessing to someone today!
You may be the only Bible someone reads!
Diane

7 comments:

A Stone Gatherer said...

((( ))) Consider yourself hugged!

Cheri said...

Beautiful poem Diane.
Sending another hug your way!

Nate and Brenda said...

Sending you a big hug!! Another beautiful poem!!

Mari said...

And here's another hug! (( ))
The poem is great. I remember when you where going through this - it doesn't seem like 4 years.

T♥RI said...

please people, hugs are more like this... >-♥-< ... so there. a real hug for you mom :) love you!! and just kidding guys... btw.

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog you got here. I'd like to read a bit more concerning this theme. Thanx for sharing this information.

Anonymous said...

Rather nice blog you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Joan Benedict
lady escort