Thursday, October 18, 2007

Grand Opening Is Not So Grand!!


Today is my regularly scheduled grocery shopping day - every 2 weeks I go on Thursday. Today also happens to be the GRAND OPENING at our town's main grocery store! I had planned on it being busy but this was just CRAZY!!!! My first clue was when it took me about 5 minutes to find a parking space! My second clue was it took me about another 5-10 minutes to wait for a cart to become available! Not only were the aisles packed with customers wanting to save a buck but store employees from surrounding towns were also working - stocking shelves (mind you it was only 10:30 in the morning and they opened at 8:00), directing traffic (yes, inside the store), handing out flyers, maps, and pumpkin certificates! My shopping time took about 45 minutes - dodging in and out of "traffic"... well as much as one can "dodge" with a big grocery cart! When I got in the checkout line (the picture above taken with my cell phone) I was right back where I started shopping! The end of the line was all the way on the other end of the grocery store!!! We were guided by some of the extra workers to weave up and down almost every aisle so that they could fit all the people in a line to checkout!! I could have just got in the checkout line as soon as I entered the store and did my shopping as I was checking out because I went through every aisle anyway!! The line took about 35-40 minutes before I was directed to a checkout lane. I must say though, between the store sales and my coupons, I saved about $60.00!! Not too bad for a little extra time on my part - I guess you could say I made about $40.00/hour!

We'll just have to see what it's like two weeks from now. I hope the "newness" will have worn off by then. So if you're planning on checking it out, make sure you plan on spending 2-3 times as long as you normally do. Also do not plan on running in and picking something up quick - won't happen!

(Cheri - I did enjoy my time there somewhat but I don't need any more of that kind of enjoyment for a few weeks at least!) ;-)

ENJOY the rest of your day!

6 comments:

Zaankali said...

Oh man! I need to get groceries tomorrow and i am absolutly dreading it for this very reason. I noticed the parking lot today and was fearing the worst. I don't take change well, give me the old store and I will deal with not having a large variety. So be praying for me tomorrow mornig because I also don't have lots of patience with people that don't realize "I am a woman on a mission so clear the isles". LOL!

Melissa said...

wow!!! My mom went today, but she didn't even go in because she couldn't find a parking space! I don't think she would have delt well with a long wait in line ;)

Chad and Tammy said...

Thanks for the heads-up! My mom called me this morning to tell me about all the great deals at "her" store. She recommended I do my shopping there this week. I think maybe I'll pass. I don't think I have that much time on my hands! It's obvious that you are a very patient person!

Anonymous said...

I'm one that shops daily for a meal that night. (not much of a planner) so pray for my family as we eat out of the freezer and take out. All those people in our store need to go back to there own town.GO AWAY!!!!

Mari said...

I was there today too. I had to do rounds with the Dr today, so didn't get out of work until 5. I am an every 2 weeks shopper too, but waited a few days because of the deals. I wondered if I was crazy when I couldn't find a parking place and decided I was once I got inside. I get frustrated with people who stop in the aisles and block them off while they just stand there, and there was a lot of that going on. Then I got to stand in that loooong checkout line. I was really late getting home, but did get some good deals!
PS - great blogging moment - you used your camera phone too. I am so impressed!

Cheri said...

I very much enjoyed my trip in the other direction at night when I went to the other Family Fare. I got right in and right out!
I think I'll be going there for the next couple of weeks!