Thursday, October 18, 2007

Life Comes At You Fast... no kidding!

(10/22/07)
This past weekend was eventful to say the least!

1. I found out on Friday that my aunt from Cadillac died on Thursday. Her husband died a couple of years ago and she was in a nursing home suffering from osteoporosis. Her husband was my mom's brother. That leaves only one more of my mom's brothers and his wife left on that side of the family.

2. A friend of ours found out on October 9 that he had pneumonia. After more tests they found out he also had cancer - untreatable and very advanced. He was moved late last week to a hospice in Byron Center. Mike and I went to visit on Saturday afternoon. He was sleeping and wasn't waking up anymore. We found out Sunday morning that he died Saturday night around 8:45 PM. Memorial will be this week sometime.

3. We were able to worship with Troy Livesay (missionary in Haiti) and hear him speak at our church. We attended a brunch with him and people who have gone to Haiti on trips before (or are planning on going on an upcoming trip). We had homegroup at night and he was there too (staying with our homegroup leader). His 11 1/2 month old daughter was with him so we were able to enjoy her too.

4. My husband plans on going to Haiti in Feb. and my daughter and I plan on going in August. He threw out an invitation for her to go with him in Feb. too. She and I talked about this this morning and have decided to put the brakes on life a little and pray about it. There are feelings that go along with decisions like this that have to be sorted out. Does God want her to go or does she want to go so she can see her friends again? She is the one who questioned whether or not she's being called to go and she's even re-thinking the August trip. She wants to be obedient to God and listen to where He's telling her to go and when. I was so impressed with what she's already been thinking and praying for. She's 13! Some adults aren't that mature in their faith!! I know that God has HUGE plans for her!

Please keep us in your prayers this week so that we can make the right decisions based on God's Will and not our own! We need it to be made very clear as to what He wants.

Be blessed!

9 comments:

Chad and Tammy said...

I can so understand where Tori is. I am trying to separate my feelings from God's calling as well. I would absolutely love to go to Haiti in August; but do I want to go because I miss it or because God has put a call on my life to be there? Hmm...

I will be praying for discernment for both Tori and myself.

Cheri said...

Wow Diane,
What a weekend- I'm so sorry for all your losses! We'll be praying for you and all the other families.
That is very impressive with Tori- how proud you must be- I'm sure God does have huge plans for her!

Mari said...

Diane - sorry for the losses this weekend. You did have some highs and lows in a short time! I'm impressed that Tori is thinking this way too - it can be really hard to differentiate between wanting to go and being called.

Mari said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
A Stone Gatherer said...

Diane and Mike, I'm so sorry for the loses that you've experienced this weekend. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Steve has been feeling the same way as Tori. That is very mature of her. He said that he would love to go back , but is he being called. It's good to decern that, and it's great to see it in someone as young as Tori. This generation just may teach us a thing or two, or three!

Melissa said...

I will definitely be praying for you and Tori!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Great job mom. You made me start you-know-whating again when I read that. Nice one. Now I'm gonna go get some water and go to sleep because a. it is my bedtime and b. i am very tired and thirsty and i just thought of a c. i don't want to read your blog anymore because i don't want to you-know-what anymore, so i am going to bed now. and another one, d. you just told me to go to bed, so i guess i better scram. good night.

Melissa said...

I like the new layout!!!

Diane said...

Melissa - this was actually my first layout and I went back to it for now to see if the problems I've been having had anything to do with changing the template. So far, this has not worked. I'll keep working at it. :-/