Sunday, February 3, 2008

"What Is This Love?"

I seem to be having somewhat of a hard time not being in Haiti right now! It's so hard to be home knowing that a team is down there. I want to be there too!!! BUT... I know in my heart that this was not the trip that God intended for me to go on so I need to be patient and wait! 23 weeks and 6 days... but who's counting??

When I returned to America in August, I had a really hard time adjusting again to life at home! I still find myself, at times, wishing I were there and not here. I wrote a couple of poems after I got back to help "harness" the emotions I was feeling. It's very hard to explain what a person goes through after returning from a mission trip unless you've been on one yourself. The poem I've posted below is the first one I wrote and explains my feelings about Haiti and it's people.

What Is This Love?

This love I have inside of me
Can only come from One
Who fills my heart with tenderness
Through Jesus Christ, His Son.

God’s love fills me up
When life gets hard to take.
He guides me through those moments
From the moment I first wake.

His Call to me came clearly
One cold December day:
For me to share His love,
A mission was the way.

Hesitation was not there,
E’en though His Plan I could not see.
“Yes, Lord! Here I am!
Where does my Savior need me?”

That was when He first put
Haiti on my heart.
I knew exactly what to do;
I knew it from the start.

How could such a love exist
For those I do not know?
Only God could place this love;
And now He tells me “Go”!

The things that He has shown me,
The people I have met
Will forever be a part of me
From sunset to sunset.

What is this love that holds me
So strong – I cannot shake?
My purpose is to tell them
Jesus is free for them to take!

Thank you Heavenly Father
For this love that’s in my heart.
My life is much more meaningful
Since Haiti’s become a part.

My heart has changed, my soul has too!
Mesi, Jezi! Mwen renmen ou!

~ Diane Westrick (August 2007)

(Picture taken by Tammy on August 2007 trip - Thanks Tammy!)

Be a blessing today!!


4 comments:

A Stone Gatherer said...

Diane, you have such a talent with words! What a gift from God to be able to put to word how you feel and inspire others! See ya for lunch tomorrow! CHINESE!!!!! I'm not excited or anything!

Chad and Tammy said...

What great poem Diane! You got me all choked up. There is definitely something about Haiti and her people that you can't understand until you've been there. I am so looking forward to going back with you in July!!

Nate and Brenda said...

I have read this poem before but it still grabs me! I agree with Kim, it is a wonderful gift that God has given you!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Diane for sharing that poem.It's beautiful!You express yourself very well.See-ya tomorrow!Patty