A few years ago, our country was attacked on September 11, 2001. A man from our church was supposed to leave on a mission trip to Hungary on January 1, 2002. The ailines were tight, people were afraid to fly, it was a tense situation. The question was raised, "Should we still go?". He thought about it and answered, "No matter where I am or what I'm doing, God will take me when it's my appointed time. I would much rather be running TO Him than AWAY from Him." That has always stayed with me and that's what I will tell people now when asked those questions. Thanks, Jim, for being a lighthouse for me and guiding me down the right path.
The devotional today reminded me of this again.
I have held many things in my hands and lost them all; but the things I have placed in God's hands, those I always possess.
"I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." - 2 Timothy 1:12
Two sisters had held a desire from childhood to one day go to the mission field together. As they approached mid-life, they realized they were both well established in their professions, and they began to investigate where they might go to serve God. After several months of talking to various missionary agencies, one of the sisters quit her job and moved to South America, where she became involved in pioneering churches.
The other sister, however, decided the hazards of the mission field were too great. She would remain at home and make even more money. "I'll go later," she said as she bid her sister good-bye. Two years later she died in an accident on the job. She had "saved" her life...only to lose it.
Safety is an illusion apart from God. Many people trust in their jobs - unaware that their companies are on the brink of bankruptcy. Others trust in the government - unaware that funds are diminishing and laws are subject to change. Still others trust in their own abilities, never counting on accidents or illness.
If the Lord has spoken to your heart to "Go," be swift to respond when He opens the door for you to do so.
Another phrase that I've chosen to live by is one I've shared before but it's a good one so I'll share it again - "Don't stay until God tells you to go, GO until God tells you to stay!" (Thanks Tori!) God knows what He's doing! We don't have to understand it now. We might never understand it here on earth but we can take comfort in knowing that He holds the future and the future IN HIM is a bright one! :)
Have a very blessed day and if God is telling you to GO, then just do it!!! :)


4 comments:
Hi Diane
What a great way to start my Sunday! I loved that devotional. How true....People used to always ask, when I was traveling to Haiti, if I was afraid....maybe the first time I was but after that, not at all.
When does Tori go to Haiti again? I am thinking a group from your church goes this month??
Have a great day Diane!!
Hugs
Karla
That's a great devotion. I have always remembered those words from Jim also and have found comfort in them a few times.
Karla - we just had the Haiti potluck/packing party last night for the January trip. My husband, Mike, and Tori leave a week from Wednesday, January 30 and come home on the following Wednesday, Feb. 6. I'm very excited for them but wish I were going with them! I know in my heart, though, that this is not my trip... my trip is in July!! My focus is on that and all that God has planned for it! Plans are already well under way! :)
Thanks for the post Diane! I am so excited that God is telling me to "GO" this summer! Last time I had a lot of fears about going to Haiti, but this time I am so eager for the trip and what God is going to do!!
Post a Comment